Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I Hate You Too, Technology

On Monday, the office building lost power. Do you know how DARK a women's bathroom, with no windows and no emergency light, can be? Do you know how fucking Satan's nutsack whore in church SWEATY people on the top floor of a glass office building can get, when you can't open the windows or circulate air?

On Tuesday, my home machine's hard drive failed and I got the message "insert system disk and press any key." It's SAD when you pine for the blue screen of death. Previously, I have been able to repair this problem by popping the case and scientifically wiggling the power harness. Wiggling no longer does the trick, on this TWO THOUSAND DOLLAR GAMING RIG THAT IS NOT YET A YEAR OLD.

Today, a water pipe burst in the office building and flooded the data room. This destroyed the T1 lines, the phone switch boxes, and more! It is hard to be an internet relations manager when you cannot access the INTERNET. I sent my much-adored minion home to work. Calling her to dictate posts got old fast.

But since I could not read message boards or even send email, I worked on other long put off projects. And I used the other computer, now lying fallow, to add music to my MP3 collection.

Today, my beloved MP3 player froze. This has happened before. I pulled out the handy reset button tool (a paper clip) and poked it into the player. It started to reset, but instead of the "rebuilding" window, I got the "rescue" screen. Only, none of the options appeared to do anything. After an hour on hold, a nice boy in Creative's tech support broke it to me - full reformat required. I winced, and bid fare thee well to ten gigs of music ripped from my own CD collection and two gigs of, uh, yeah. Stuff. Stuff that someone no doubt owned before they uploaded it to Kazaa.

But that's okay! I turned a new leaf a few months ago (amazingly, about the same time I started writing for future publication again) and stopped stealing! I was willing to replace that music! By handing over actual money! So I hit reformat, and started chatting with the nice techie boy.

Five minutes later he asked what the player was displaying. I said "It says formatting dot dot dot." He said, "That's a thirty second process. You should have been done by now."

It's hosed. And it was a discontinued model. And it would cost as much to repair as it would to buy a 40 gig player.

I am writing this on borrowed technology to get the killing rage out of my system, and after I hit post, I am going to STOP TOUCHING THINGS THAT REQUIRE HARD DRIVES.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home