Thursday, May 26, 2005

Plucked From The Lint Trap

I discovered iTunes. My mate and I have spent a few entertaining evening drilling down into the catalogue and surfacing with such nuggets as "Lawyers In Love" and "All The Young Dudes." The mate, he was much, much cooler than I was in high school.

I know this, because left to my own devices I dredge up "Forever Your Girl" and "A Whole New World." I'm not ENTIRELY without coolness - of my own free will, after seeing them on SNL, I bought the System of a Down single. Of course, my inherent dorkhood kicked in and I accidently bought the "clean" version. I had to spend another dollar just to get the version with all the fucks unfettered.

But where my mate finds obscure metal bands of his childhood, I look for Metallica and wander away disappointed because SOME PEOPLE think they are too cool to be on iTunes. He claps his hands with glee and calls for the buy button when obscure German bands appear beneath his wandering mouse, and I shell out for the remastered "Kickstart My Heart." We both agree that if we want a whole album, we should buy the physical thing, but where he goes out and buys the complete works of David Bowie, I make a note to order Bat Out of Hell 2. He rocks to Rasputina, I'm dancing to Def Leppard. Hysteria, baby!

He is sticking his Tron hands into a torrent of smart and hip, and I pluck discarded radio singles from the lint trap of the eighties and nineties.

As MC Skat Kat once said, opposites attract.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home