Saturday, February 26, 2005

Finally Over It

My better half proposed in the fall of '03, and we decided to get married in the fall of '04. I'm not a frou frou female, I have not been planning my wedding since I was six, and I despise wearing makeup, dresses, crap in my hair, formal underwear, and people staring at me.

So my total obsession with all things Wedding took me completely by surprise. It was awful. Guy 2, a tolerant and good natured soul, once said with a sigh, "What on earth are you going to obsess over when you're married?" I shot back, "The honeymoon," but still, he had a point. I tried to rein it in - bought a mug that said "Shut Up About Your Fucking Wedding," even - but I couldn't control myself.

The internet became my friend. The Knot and their message boards for other obsessive compulsive Women in White became my most frequently hit link, but no website was too small, no link too stupid to follow if it related to weddings.

Even though I was sick of my OWN wedding plans and my uncontrollable urge to make clever handicrafts about a month before it actually happened, I was still obsessed with wedding stuff on the internet. I even continued to visit the message boards after the wedding. As I told my mate, it was like I'd spent a year learning all this esoteric information and gaining these highly specialized skills that I would NEVER USE AGAIN. Who wants to feel like it was all a waste of time? Even if you knew it was when you started?

But the obsession slowly faded, and I hardly noticed. I went out to buy scrapbook supplies for our wedding album, and came back with a new letter stamping system. I went to polish my wedding shoes and ended up looking online for blue ones. My new husband (hee, what a fun word) moved all of the wedding paraphenilia to the attic and I didn't miss any of it for days. I occasionally think, hrm, I should go up and go through that box, but then I go back to Law and Order reruns. Man, I love that Richard Belzer.

Then today, I was checking the weather channel, and an ad for "Wedding Weather" appeared before me. I thought, "Jeez, they must think women would click anything if it's related to their stupid wedding."

I'm cured!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home